Subject: Re: [docbook] URN for Simplified DocBook and DocBook XML

Peter Ring wrote:

> But to be true, I think the XML Specification is flawed in requiring a
> system identifier.
>
> "System identifier should always work" -- why? This is naïve -- they should,
> but hey, they don't always work correctly, or at all. Uncertainty is
> something to be avoided in a production environment. Sometimes, I
> specifically don't want a document to work without entity resolution through
> catalogs -- my catalogs. Just as in the good ol' SGML days.

OK, your environment might have some very special requirements. But
using URL for system identifier allows interop with users who doesn't
have catalog setup. They can take DocBook document and open it  directly
in Internet Explorer. There are even many tools which don't support
catalogs. Interop is probably reason why system identifier is mandatory
in XML.

   Jirka Kosek
   e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
   http://www.kosek.cz