Subject: Re: [docbook] RFE 714764 - 'typed' indexes

Dave Pawson wrote:

> At 12:49 23/05/2003 +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
>
>> I just thought that it would be much more flexible to not insert index
>> term markup in the document, at all (at most place a simple reference
>> to each index document). If I get a DocBook document and don't like
>> the indexing, I have to work my way through the whole document and
>> discard the previous work,
>
> That's why indexers are paid good money to do their job.

I can't see what that has to do with discarding the previous indexing
markup. Indexers would still be paid good money, even if they don't have
to discard previous indexer's work, AFAICS.

>> or I have to produce a new version of the DocBook document (I don't
>> have much experience with DB indexing, so I might be wrong). So I
>> simply like the general possibility of separating the document from
>> it's indexes; I didn't yet think about technical details.
>
> Seeing my book indexed by a professional, I began to appreciate the work
> that went
> into doing it. It is, essentially, an additional layer of markup that
> goes in on top of
> the actual content.

I questioned neither of those.

Keeping multiple indexing documents shouldn't affect any of the aspects
you mentioned.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/