Subject: Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

My 2 cents:

I think that one of the major problems is that many of us have never
been trained to properly use the DocBook. We figure it out as we go
along and misuse it at the same time. I know I have. Information is
provided in the DocBook reference but sometimes it requires one to
understand the jargon to an extent a newbie just doesn't. This text
could be reworked to accommodate more self taught individuals and our
not understanding the jargon yet.

Another problem is that some people just don't understand proper
document structure at all. I work as a tech writer and know many people
who cannot properly tag a document in FrameMaker or (gag) Word. These
people completely sabotage all attempts at moving to XML. I won't even
go into the fact that most of these people have no understanding of the
technology they write about because that's too far off topic.

I agree that the number of tags could be reduced if done properly. Maybe
this makes more sense if we rely on attributes more for providing
information about the intended use. For example why have <note>,
been used with the differences being made with role:

The same could have been done with sections: <section>This is just a
section</section> or
<section role=numbered>This section gets a number.</section>

I know that this is water under the bridge (especially considering the
need to support existing documents), and my not simplify things, but
with my limited experience with DTDs it seems that it may provide some
way of simplifying the structure while allowing the complexity to be
handled through the use of attributes.

Another problem is how we look at the world. For example there is the
discussion about a <task> element. I usually use the word "process"
(high level) rather than "task" in contradistinction to "procedure" (low
level). This may lead to excessive elements or not realizing one's needs
are already met. This may be a poor example because there is no
<process> or <task> element at the moment but there may be very closely
related elements that could have used the same term. This happens a lot
in programming languages such as "method" versus "function". Perhaps a
careful generalization could be done to accommodate similar
functionality but different terms (jargon).

I may be off-base but those are a few of my thoughts, for whatever
they're worth.

Jeff Biss

Jeff Biss