Subject: Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

Here are some thoughts:

- about the large number of inlines:

 I don't know whether Relax-NG allows this (at least SGML
 architectures would help to), but we could define a hierarchy of
 inlines, with generic ones having more specialized versions, somewhat
 in the way the "class" attribute is currently used, but more
 flexible.

 With help from composer apps, that would allow people to be only
 presented by default only the generic ones, and those sub-categories
 they'd need.

- about titles:

| I've also taken the liberty of enforcing two additional rules: title,
| titleabbrev, and subtitle must appear first (and in that order) if
| they're allowed or required, and they may appear only once.

 I suppose it should still be possible to markup a document title (and
 abstract) in more than one language, as is customary in some
 scientific papers.

- "sgmltag. Replaced by xmltag."

 Hm, is SGML so dead that noone would want to write about it any more ?

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique