Subject: Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

Steven,

 From my experience people have a problem with properly applying tags
from stylesheets even when directed to use a style guide that dictates
what to use and where to use it. I am NOT proposing that the
note/tip/etc elements be replaced. I am merely using them as an example
where I see that element quatity reduction could have been applied as I
see it was done in the <itemizedlist> element. A user only has to learn
the <itemizedlist> to create bulletized lists, not a larger quantity of
specifically named elements for each type of bullet a user may desire.
The writer can leave the default or change the attribute or stylesheet
to get  the desired result.

This doesn't seem to be a processing problem because the DTD structure
would still show where a certain element can be used and what attributes
are allowed. The allowed attribute values, such as those for "type" for
<bibliorelation>, are delimited in the DTD and appear easier to add
to/delete from than adding another element.

As I see it, the point is not to simplify processing but to simplify the
use of elements by writers. This can be done in a number of ways going
forward. I think, perhaps incorrectly, that the structure is affected
less by attributes than by elements.

NOTE:
I am learning XML, mostly by trial and error while using the DocBook and
referencing the DTD documentation. I could very well be wrong!

Jeff Biss