Subject: Re: [docbook] Table of Contents structure

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:32:13AM +0900, waldron.Navix@canon.co.jp wrote:
> Hi,
> New to the list, and this is my first question.
> I've been doing XML work for the last several years now, using my own structure
> designs for each job. This is the first time though I've tried marking up a doc
> using Docbook (customer requires it). My problem is in the TOC Preface section.
> There does not seem to be enough depth there to do what I need. I have a preface
> with multiple levels (sections). The Tocfront elements don't allow sublevels
> (children), and I don't want to use the Tocchap elements until I get into the
> main body (chapters) of the TOC. Tocpart seems to be limited to just Tocentry
> too...
> So may Preface would look something like this normally (by my own design...):
> <toc>
>   <title>Contents</title>
>   <preface>
>     <tocA>A-title</tocA>
>     <tocA>A-title
>        <tocB>B-title</tocB>
>        <tocB>B-title</tocB>
>     </tocA>
>     <tocA>A-title
>        <tocB>B-title</tocB>
>        <tocB>B-title</tocB>
>     </tocA>
>    </preface>
>    <chapter value="1">
>        ... and so on.
>
> Could someone offer a logical method of markup for a TOC preface with multiple
> levels?

Most people use the stylesheet to generate the TOC automatically.
That way you don't have to worry about keeping the TOC is sync
with the document.  The DocBook DSSSL and XSL stylesheets
will create a TOC for a book, and the Preface entry in
the TOC will show multiple section levels.

If you have need to edit the TOC, then the XSL stylesheets
provide a tool to enable that.  See:

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SolveProblems.html#GenerateTOC

But then I'm assuming you are using the DocBook XSL
stylesheets, which may be a bad assumption.  Even if
you are not, the maketoc.xsl stylesheet described in the
above link can be used to generate a <toc> document from
your book.  That <toc> document uses only nested <tocentry>
elements, which you can then write a stylesheet for.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com