Subject: stylesheet changes??

Running into some more problems with the html help files:
So I have a docbook document (which will be compiled into an html help
file), and I want to create a link to an external pdf file stored locally on
a pc. As this documentation is part of a piece of software, and the
installation path is completely up to the user I can't use absolute links.
I have found this page which shows me how I can work around the linking
problem:
http://www.author-it.com/docs/html/kb/html/5351.htm
But as I understand I will need to change my stylesheet for this to work.

Has anybody ever done any work similar to this, who could tell me what
changes need to be done to my stylesheet?

Cheers
felix