Subject: Re: [docbook] use case extensions

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 02:22:52PM +0000, mark boylan wrote:
> I'm creating some document templates for a software project. One of the
> templates that I have to create is a use case. One section of the use case
> is the "Main success scenario." The docbook "procedure" seems perfect for
> this. The next section of the document is "Extensions." This section is
> similar to a procedure, but the numbering of each step should refer back to
> the numbering in the "Main success scenario" section. When completed, a use
> case with one extension to step two might look like this:
>
> Main Success Scenario
>   1. Step one
>   2. Step two
>   3. Step three
>
> Extensions
>   2a. Exception occurs in step 2
>     2a1. Handle the exception
>
> What is the best way to create something like this using DocBook? Is a
> procedure appropriate for the extensions? Is there any way that I can have
> the extension procedures reference the main procedure? What is the best way
> to handle the numbering?

There is no numbering option in the stylesheets that will
handle such a complex numbering scheme.

I would do the extensions list as a variablelist,
and manually enter the numbers as the <term> element.
You could wrap a <link> element around the term content
to form a link back to the scenario step.

<variablelist>
  <varlistentry>
  </varlistentry>

Unfortunately, this solution requires manual maintenance
of the numbers in the extensions lists.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com