Subject: Eeeek! My Umlauts have vanished!

Hi there,

I just upgraded from SuSE 8.1 to SuSE 8.2, which means that instead of using
a mixture of various things (I think), it is now all openjade. Now I
couldn't really care less about this, except that a DocBook text I had
written in German and that produced wonderful Umlaute (the vowels with the
dots above them) in the HTML version suddenly has question marks instead of
the umlaut-characters that they are supposed to have.

The file itself starts with:

<? xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.2//EN"
         "/usr/share/sgml/db42xml/docbookx.dtd" [
]>

Which worked fine so far. And then we have a bit further down

<article id="frog" lang="de">

The only thing that seems to be strange is that the db2html (by Karl
Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net>) program I use produces the output:

scot@coven:~/> db2html frog.xml
/usr/bin/db2html: line 1: ?: No such file or directory

I would take this to mean that the conversion program doesn't like the xml
line, but that doesn't make sense.

I would be grateful for any help somebody here might give; not being able to
type the Umlauts like they are on my (German) keyboard would basically make
DocBook unusable.

Thank you,
Y, Scot

--