Subject: Re: [docbook] Eeeek! My Umlauts have vanished!

Scot W. Stevenson wrote:

> file encoding and setting in stylesheet do not match:
> frog.xml: ISO-8859-1
> suse-html.dsl: suse-html.dsl:14:     ("content" "text/html; charset=UTF-8")))
>
> Which I think means that SuSE fooled around with their configuration files
> and broke something; the README doesn't mention anything, though.

AFAIK this is problem in Jade/OpenJade. Jade forces you to use same
encoding for input and for output. You must either change encoding of
your XML files to UTF-8, or modify suse-html.dsl and Jade environment
(by command-line switch or SP_ENCODING) to change output encoding to
ISO-8859-1.

If you can, I would recommend you to use XSL stylesheets for getting
HTML from DocBook. Encoding of input and output can be different here
and you will get better HTML code faster; XSL stylesheets also support
more features than DSSSL ones.

					Jirka

   Jirka Kosek
   e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz