Subject: Re: [docbook] Loss of faith -- somewhat rantish

At 15:51 12/07/2003 +0100, John Levon wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 06:13:03AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> > > Again, sorry for the rant,
> >
> > If you can't understand the framework, then don't. You don't have to learn
>
>Daniel, at the risk of irritating you, this is simply not true at this
>current time with available free software tools. I say this from personal
>experience.

No, (IMHO) you haven't taken enough steps backwards... to learn?
   When I did it, it was 12 months before I started to grok it all.

>Scot, the XML stuff, and the available free tools currently, *are* hard
>to use. The relevant syntax *is* obscure, and the multitude of related
>standards is confusing.

Agreed. Its called a learning curve. It''s 'quite' steep for docbook,
but the benefits are appropriately large ((IMO))

define polish?

   Unfortunately, Daniel, and other linux'ish associates,
provide tools which allow you to use docbook without any ...minimal...
understanding?? / effort???

>In particular, a decent graphical DocBook editor built on top of the
>trickier stuff such as xlstproc would resolve all of your specific
>complaints.

Possibly true, but 'twould take a M$ class of enterprise to provide?

regards DaveP
(been there done that) class of user.