Subject: Re: [docbook] [SLIDES] what about toc?

On 20 Jul, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> On Saturday, July 19, 2003, at 10:14 AM, pcasidy@casidy.com wrote:
>
>> But so far, I have not been impressed by the quality of html to pdf
>> tools.
>
> It's rather unusual for me to have slides as PDF, because slides are
> meant as an oral presentation tool.  I first thought you wanted an HTML
> output.

I thought that two until I saw people using acroread to display their
slides.
If you look at paragraph 6.4.1 from the PDF spec, you will see that it
is planned to be able to use pdf as presentation file format.
You may have embedded javascript too.

>> That's why I am looking for a fo to pdf toolchain.
>
> I know that both N. Walsh's and L. Trieloff's provide stylesheets for
> FO output, but I didn't test them.
>
>> I know there is fop but it requires java.
>
> Java and FOP are IMHO simpler to understand than TeX and PassiveTex.
> On FreeBSD you may want to build the JDK with the port java/jdk14.  FOP
> is also available in a port IIRC and installs in
> $(PREFIX)/share/java/classes, so you have to declare the entries there
> in the CLASSPATH environment variable to use FOP on the command line
> with something like "java org.apache.fop.apps.Fop".

Sure but it requires Linux binaries to build. I plan to switch as soon
as possible from an x86 platform to a powerpc one and i am not sure to
be able to build jdk on it.

For the moment, I have manually inserted slides with titles on it. My
slides must be ready for the coming week.
In august, I may have time to build a fo2pdf which is able to add
presentation effects. At least, I would like to have toc automatically
created.

Thanks

Phil.

PGP signature