Subject: Re: [docbook] How to mark up a path?

Bob

First let me thank you for considering my wish.

> How about an attribute on filename named 'path'?
>
>   <filename path="/foo/doc/jing.html"/>

The problem I see is that the text to be marked up (content) is turned
into an attribute value that's "invisible by default" (eg disappears
when run through an empty XSLT).
If you want to avoid adding a new element (eg "path"), then perhaps it
makes more sense to add one value to the enumerataion list of filename's
class attribute:

   <filename class="path">/foo/doc/jing.html</filename>

but personally I'm not sure. This

   <path>/foo/doc/jing.html</path>

would feel more specific and more definite (and attributes could further
describe the path: file path or dir path, abs or rel).

But if most others feel that

   <filename class="path">/foo/doc/jing.html</filename>

is 100% semantically correct (considering common software/OS/web/etc
semantics), then I think it would be a great improvement over

   <filename>doc/jing.html</filename>

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/