Subject: Re: [docbook] profiling document with link problem

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:49:45AM +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Current conclusion is:
> >     your stylesheet relies on totally unspecified behaviour
> >     I have a hard time accepting as a bug, but if you
> >     have further evidence, I would take them...
>
> Daniel, thank for taking care about this issue. You are right, I was
> wrong when I though that key() function should always do lookup in the
> source document even when context node is from other temporal document.
> It seemed logical as such temporal document can't be indexed. But read
> standard more carefully first and then start thinking applies here.

  Problem is that EXSLT node-set() is vastly underspecified, I think
Jenny Tennison maintains it, right ? If yes maybe she would accept to
refine the logic so that at least there is no grey area.

> Sad conclusion for DocBook XSL stylesheets users is that single-pass
> profiling won't work in xsltproc if you use links in your documents. It
> actually works in Saxon but it is non-conformant behaviour. I can't
> imagine XSLT 1.0 solution to this problem which will not cause very
> hard-to-maintan fork between common and profiling stylesheets.

  Argh ... Well I don't know if I can help there. If you have suggestions
fill an Request For Enhancement, but to me node-set() is already a
very complex operation,

Daniel