Subject: Re: [docbook] Linux editors for DTDs?

At 08:33 18/12/2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> > >It will be used for writing a combination of User Documentation, Release
> > >Notes, Technical Documentation and possibly training material based on the
> > >above.
> >
> > You might want to look at one of the DTD to HTML if your need is for
> > presentation.
> >
> > I use emacs, dtd-mode from Tony Graham for editing DTD's.
> > Validation I'd take as a separate issue, using your favourite
> > parser.
> > dtd-mode has most of the features I need.
> > Downside? No wysiwyg mode. That's just frustrating working
> > with DTD's.
> >
> > HTH DaveP
>
>Thanks for your comments, but, not sure I understand DTD to HTML.... We don't
>deliver in html, if that's what you're thinking. At least, not at this point.
>Everything is pdf.

You say above that you deliver technical documentation?
I interpreted that as documentation on the DTD's.

>By validation I mean the editor is DTD aware; that is, it won't let you
>put in
>tags that would violate the DTD, or if it does it tells you in loud words.
>XMLMind does that. I was hoping not to spend too much time actually editing
>DTDs. If I get into customization, etc., I might do a bit, but at the moment
>I'm still learning about the whole concept.

Two things there.
Editing the DTD is one thing,
Editing the XML or SGML instance that is valid to that DTD is another.

I guess you mean the second item?
Again emacs is good for that, psgml-mode or nxml-mode, but I guess
your need for wysiwyg means its no good to you.

Expensive, but very very good, Epic is a very good editor
that you may like.

HTH DaveP