Subject: Re: [docbook] repeating/re-occuring info

I guess you noticed that if you create an entity that includes an id attribute and use that entity more than once, then your document will no longer be valid.  Attributes of xml type ID must be unique within the document, even if they are not referenced.  Of course, the reason for this rule is so that references to such an id would not be ambigious.

You could create an entity that consists only of the listitems (if they don't have id attributes).  Then you could use them in several places with different id values for the list element wrapper:

<!ENTITY listitems "<listitem>
  <para>First one</para>
</listitem>
<listitem>
  <para>Another</para>
</listitem>">

And in your document use it as:

<itemizedlist id="firsttime">
&listitems;
</itemizedlist>

and

<itemizedlist id="secondtime">
&listitems;
</itemizedlist>

If your listitems must have id attributes, then it gets more complicated, as each such listitem would need to be an entity.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net