Subject: Re: [docbook] Docbook combined with a website

Hi Frans

On Fri 2004-07-02 Frans Englich wrote:
> Is it possible to use such an combination? Several articles into one
> book?

Yes, eg

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE book
  PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.3//EN"
  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd";

<book>
  <bookinfo>
    <title>My Articles</title>
    <author>
      <firstname>Frans</firstname>
      <surname>Englich</surname>
    </author>
  </bookinfo>
  <article>
    <title>w</title>
    <simpara>x</simpara>
  </article>
  <article>
    <title>y</title>
    <simpara>z</simpara>
  </article>
</book>

> Is it possible to simply view the docbook files of the web, or do
> they need to be processed first? (can they be viewed as they are in
> a browser, or do they need to be exported into a viewing format)

I suggest (X)HTML and PDF. You could for example use the
docbook.sf.net XSLTs, a manual is available at

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

Also check out

=>

docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/

> Is XML Schemas not used for docbook because the standard isn't
> finished yet?  Because XML/XML Schemas are superior over DTD/SGML in
> general, right?

... and Relax NG is even better ;)

Seriously though, each of the three main XML schema languages (DTD,
RNG, WXS/XSD) has it's pros and cons. The main schema of the next
major version(s) of DocBook XML will be expressed in Relax NG

http://docbook.org/docbook-ng/

DTD and WXS (W3C XML Schema) versions will be offered as well.

> Docbook appears to me quite complex, with a high learning threshold.

DocBook itself as a language is not very difficult to learn, but
taming the toolchain can be annoying at times (especially if you want
to use an FO processor which is available under a Free Software
license). Per output format there's a set of viewers which you will
want to support, each has it's quirks and bugs (PDF viewers are not a
big problem, luckily). Then there are aspects such as accessibility
which can represent various challenges.

> I am comfortable with the various XML standards and DTDs. Is there
> some specific documentation for what I am trying to achieve or do I
> have to read the whole book?

While writing the documents (or marking up existing ones),

http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/

is invaluable.

Regarding the processing: You should check out the docbook.sf.net
XSLTs. If you choose to stay with them then Bob's book is a great
resource. (If you choose to write your own transformation app, then
you'll probably have to learn and read about the technologies you
choose for that task.)

Tobi

  bi
    as