Subject: Re: [docbook] revnumber Required

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:09:28AM -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:
> Just to add one point: while revnumber may be required, it can be empty.  It
> is a bit of clutter, but your file should validate.  Or revnumber can be the
> same for a set of revisions.  I use it to indicate in which edition of a
> book a particular change is made.  In that usage, many revisions have the
> same revnumber.

I had thought about taking this approach, but was discouraged from it by
the recommendation in DocBook: The Definitive Guide pertaining to the
revnumber element type[0]:

    The revision number should uniquely identify a particular revision
    of a document.

I'm trying to understand how I can do that internally and reconcile such
numbering with the less-granular view of changes from an external
perspective.  That said, I appreciate your insight and may choose to
"interpret" this statement to allow identifying a particular revision of
a document with an external version, even if that is a many-to-one
mapping.

Take care,

    John L. Clark

[0] http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/revnumber.html