Subject: Re: DocBook colwidth Problems

/ "Fondern, Michael van" <michael.van.fondern@imp-gmbh.de> was heard to say:
| IMHO, "colwidth" can be very useful without extensions, even without the
| complete CALS functionality. I use xsltproc which does not support the
| extensions, and I would appreciate it if I do not have to change the xslt
| processor just for
| doing something simple like <colspec colwidth="20%">.
|
| Since the 'generate.col' template works fine for me when disabling the tests
| for 'use.extensions' and 'tablecolumns.extension', I wonder if it might be
| possible that on of the upcoming docbook-xml version allows some simple use
| of "colwidth" without extensions.

The problem here is that the semantics of the colwidth attribute are
defined by CALS. The way you specify precentages in CALS is with the
"nn*" notation which requires the extensions.

You could use the HTML table model instead of CALS.

Or DocBook could support some sort of extension to CALS. Maybe. I'd be
a little reluctant.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Humanity is acquiring all the
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | right technology for all the wrong
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | reasons.--R. Buckminster Fuller

PGP signature