Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook colwidth Problems

There is no parameter for using the HTML table model.  It requires upgrading
to version 4.3 of the DocBook DTD, if you have not already done so. That DTD
permits using HTML table elements in place of CALS table elements.  The
content of the table cells must still be valid DocBook, though.

The online version of The Definitive Guide shows the table content model:

http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/table.html

But the description and examples have not been updated to show HTML table
markup.  Here is a short example:

<caption>HTML markup tables</caption>
<colgroup>
<col width="18%"/>
<col width="11.2%"/>
<col width="17.2%"/>
<col width="53.5%"/>
</colgroup>
<thead>
</thead>
<tbody>
while informaltable does not.</td>
</tbody>

The current stylesheets support HTML table markup.  The templates currently
have fewer formatting options relative to CALS tables, but the next
stylesheet release will add more.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting