Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: DocBook Annotations

Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:

> of using an attribute. I do see what you mean w.r.t i18n problems, so would it
> be possible to do something lilke:
>
> <para>
> The <annot id="88">ISBN<annot> of a book is it's specific identifying number.
> The <annot alt="International Standard Sequence Number">ISSN</annot> of a book
> is the series of books to which it belongs.
> <para>
>
> So you can either use an idref to reference the definition, if you need a full
> element, or you can use an attribute, should the text constraints of the
> definition be simple enough (i.e. no tags, simple character set.)

Your proposal is able to connect annotation only with text, not with
some element like abbrev -- this is the main problem of whole annotation
issue. How to markup relation between annotation and its target? There
were a lot of proposals and discussions in past on public:

http://norman.walsh.name/2004/09/10/annotations
http://norman.walsh.name/2004/09/16/annotationMarkup
http://norman.walsh.name/2004/12/02/annotations

and also on DocBook TC teleconferences. I don't think that current
annotation proposal is perfect from all aspects, but it is the best from
all alternatives that were presented up to this day.

			Jirka

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature