Subject: Re: XLink and OLink in Docbook 5

Thanks a lot for the enlightening reply!

> * Bob Stayton <obof@fntruvyy.arg> [2005-02-18 00:58:16 -0800]:
>
> I decided that the only way to resolve links between DocBook documents
> was to resolve them between rendered documents.  The current XSL
> implementation uses an olink database containing information about
> rendered documents, after the XIncludes are processed and the
> profiling is done.

I think this is TRT.

> For DocBook V5, the XLink syntax can use a URN as the href, as Jirka
> points out.  A URN is an abstract name that requires a URN resolver to
> locate the resource.  For DocBook olinks, it becomes the equivalent to
> the document identifier.  With a #fragment_identifier taking the place
> of the targetptr attribute, you have the complete equivalent to the
> current olink.

So, I have a master impnotes.xml (<book>)) file which includes many
others via external entities (should I convert them to xincludes?).
I also have clisp.xml (<refentry>) with
<olink targetdoc="impnotes" targetptr="source-files"/>

DIUC that the above olink will turn into

<xref xlink="urn:impnotes#source-files"/>

To support olink, I have target.database.document files.
Will I be able to re-use them?

When will this be supported?
When will I have to switch to docbook5?
(i.e., when docbook4 will be deprecated?)

Thanks again!

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
My other CAR is a CDR.