Subject: RE: [docbook] Amended DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 April 2005

All well and fine that namespace != document type or schema location. After all, there is only so much you can assert with a single rather opaque symbol (such as an URI); I'd anyway often need a number of additional constraints to aid processing (such as validation).

It just strikes me as a bit silly that each and every consumer or producer of XML documents should invent and maintain each their own PIs/package format/catalog/whatever for basically the same purpose.

If the value of the version attribute is supposed to be helpful, surely we must have some protocol, some common expectations about how it is to be used? "lillet", "medium vodka dry martini, shaken, not stirred", "vesper", "http://www.007.ten.lt/"; and "7.00" will all validate; the version attribute is essentially even more opaque than a namespace. Is some sort of registry of version attribute values envisioned?

DocBook elements are going to be more welcome as guests in other document type families, now that they've got their own namespace. The version attribute is ubiquitous (belongs to db.common.attributes), and could be used to help a 'namespace router'; am I on the right track here?

BTW, vodka martinis taste like paint thinner if not ice cold.

Kind regards
Peter Ring