Subject: Re: [docbook] Amended DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes:20 April 2005

Peter Ring wrote:

> It just strikes me as a bit silly that each and every consumer or
> producer of XML documents should invent and maintain each their own
> PIs/package format/catalog/whatever for basically the same purpose.

I expect that during time some format will prevail and will became de
facto standard.

The fact that RELAX NG standard didn't specified some hook for attaching
schemas creates some vapor area. OTOH it is more and more common
approach to use more than one schema to validate document and in this
case specifying schema in xsi:schemaLocation attribute or something
similar doesn't seem completely wise.

> If the value of the version attribute is supposed to be helpful,
> surely we must have some protocol, some common expectations about how
> it is to be used? "lillet", "medium vodka dry martini, shaken, not
> stirred", "vesper", "http://www.007.ten.lt/"; and "7.00" will all
> validate; the version attribute is essentially even more opaque than
> a namespace. Is some sort of registry of version attribute values
> envisioned?

Not yet, but could be useful. Probably there could be RDDL document
sitting on http://docbook.org/ns/docbook that will point to various
DocBook schemas.

> DocBook elements are going to be more welcome as guests in other
> document type families, now that they've got their own namespace. The
> version attribute is ubiquitous (belongs to db.common.attributes),
> and could be used to help a 'namespace router'; am I on the right
> track here?

Current DocBook 5.0 grammar makes version attribute required on the root
element of document. But speaking of compound documents -- this is the
area where some research must be done first.

> BTW, vodka martinis taste like paint thinner if not ice cold.

Are you MI6 agent that you know this? :-)

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature