Subject: Re: About translating the Guide...

/ Luca Brivio <lucab83@infinito.it> was heard to say:
| My question is simple, although the answer could not to be so...
|
| If someone could translate in the next months to a new language (e. g.
| italian) an entire edition of the DocBook Definitive Guide (and maintain
| it updated), which would be in your opinion the best option between
| begin translating from "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" 2.0.12 or from
| "DocBook 5: The Definitive Guide" 0.0.5? I do understand they are
| actually two different books,  but what I means is that I could consider
| to keep on translating the DocBook 5.0 guide only if it could reach in a
| few months an almost printable version (otherwise: how long you think
| the first guide will be maintained?).
|
| Maybe this is the wrong moment for these things?

That is a hard question. The 5.0 guide is still subject to radical
editorial change (i.e., hacking by yours truly). The older guide is
more stable.

I think the safest course is probably to translate the older guide.
Most of the material there will still be valuable after the 5.0 guide
comes out. And with a little luck, updating the translation won't be
too hard (as much of the text will be the same and the biggest changes
are likely to be deletions).

But that's just a sort of gut reaction. Hope that helps.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Channeling is just bad
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | ventriloquism. You use another
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | voice, but people can see your
                                   | lips moving--Penn Jillette

PGP signature