Subject: Re: Sections and SimpleSect

/ "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> was heard to say:
| I quickly abandoned the use of simplesect, though.  After all, any section
| element can be terminal if you don't put any other section elements in it.
| I'm not sure what the use case was that called for *enforcing* the use of
| terminal section elements.

The important semantic distinction between simplesect and any other
terminal section is that simplesect doesn't appear in the ToC. So it's
good for things like "Examples" or "See Also" at the end of a chapter.

It just seems really odd to me that the content models are, for example,

 sect2+ | simplesect+

when I'd have expected

 (sect2+, simplesect*) | simplesect+

But it's been that way back to the DocBook V2.4.1 days so it's not
a recent error.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Everything should be made as
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | simple as possible, but no simpler.
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |