Subject: Re: [docbook] Sections and SimpleSect

On Thursday 07 July 2005 18:14, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> I have misunderstood something about DocBook that's been true
> essentially forever. Or maybe I understood it once and forgot it.
>
> I believed that simplesect was a terminal section inside a component
> (or a section or a sect[1..5]). That is, you could have
>
>   sect1
>     sect2.../sect2
>     simplesect.../simplesect
>   /sect1
>
> but NOT
>
>   sect1
>     simplesect.../simplesect
>     sect2.../sect2
>   /sect1
>
> It turns out that this isn't the case. Simplesect is terminal
> in an even more demanding way: a component or section can contain
> *either* the appropriate level of section element *or* simplesect.
>
> So this is valid:
>
>   sect1
>     simplesect.../simplesect
>   /sect1
>
> but this *IS NOT*
>
>   sect1
>     sect2.../sect2
>     simplesect.../simplesect
>   /sect1
>
> Is there a reason for this? Has anyone else noticed it? Does anyone
> else care? I "fixed" DocBook NG yesterday, but I guess I'll unfix it.

Bummer. I've been trying to use it as

 section
     simplesect.../simplesect
     simplesect.../simplesect
     section
        simplesect.../simplesect
        simplesect.../simplesect
        section
           simplesect.../simplesect
           simplesect.../simplesect
        /section
     /section
 /section

This was to document certain nodes of a hierarchically organised data
structure such that the documentation is matches the data, each node is
a section and each simplesect documents certain properties such as
attributes and examples.

Guess I've buggered it up.
Doug