Subject: Accommodating articles.

I've been looking into using DocBook <article>s as a possible vehicle for
journal manuscripts. For the most part I think it has the
potential to be a good fit, but there are just a few issues which are
troublesome.

(1) There seems to be no <articleinfo> container to hold the name of
    the journal in which the article has been or will be published.
    <date> already exist.
    I guess it would be called <publication>. Ideally the
    content model would contain a title or more often an
    abbreviated title of the journal, Maybe both?

(2) It would be useful to have a formal <contact> element within
    <authorgroup>, typically, but not always one of the authors
    of the article. It would therefore need the same content
    as <author>, but probably wouldn't be displayed by default.

(3) <authorgroup><author> needs to allow <footnote>
    The reason is that sometimes authors move on, to the afterlife or
    new laboratories/positions and it is important and respectful
    to note such things, but not within the main body of the article.
    Actually I noticed some publications put the complete author
    address as a footnote, appropriately <footnoteref>'ed by other
    authors from the same institution.

(4) It would be nice if there was some kind of generic inline <name>
    container for denoting the names of books or journals or companies
    or ...
    Typically these are rendered in italics. But because they are names,
    <emphasis> isn't really appropriate. <phrase> seems too general and
    may be overworked enough already.
    <application> seems like a specific case of what probably
    aught to be <name role="program">

(5) It might be nice if the <equation>, <inlineequation> and
    <informalequation> elements provided an @type attribute to
    distinguish between mathematical and chemical equations/reactions
    and formulae. Perhaps "math"|"chem"|"nuclear?" with a default of "math"?
    (actually, it would be very nice to be able to put text - punctuation
    such as a full-stop or comma at the very least - on the same line
    as an <equation> or <informalequation> )

(6) The <supplement> thing for centralising embedded related data in
    other XML dialects.
 (see http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200507/msg00053.html)

Thats about it. What do you think?

Thanks