Subject: [docbook] Re: Accommodating articles.

On Tuesday 26 July 2005 21:57, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Doug du Boulay <ddb@owari.msl.titech.ac.jp> was heard to say:

> | (1) There seems to be no <articleinfo> container to hold the name of
> |     the journal in which the article has been or will be published.
>
> This looks like an RFE.

Ok number 1245781

On Sunday 24 July 2005 02:42, Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:
> This seems a reasonable thought to me. I am not convinced that title
should
> be overloaded here, though, as it will make life harder in other
contexts.
> Would it be acceptable to just have:
>
> <publication>Journal of...</publication>

Personally I could live with that and customise with role="abbrev", but
I don't know if that is a general solution.

Norman Walsh wrote:
> | (2) It would be useful to have a formal <contact> element within
> |     <authorgroup>, typically, but not always one of the authors
> |     of the article. It would therefore need the same content
> |     as <author>, but probably wouldn't be displayed by default.
>
> Perhaps use role on one of the authors?

That would be easier.

Ruth Ivimey-Cook also suggested:
> <authorgroup>
>  <author role="contact">...</author>
>  <author>...</author>
> <authorgroup>

I guess it would be very unusual to have a contact that wasn't actually an
author. But maybe in happens in some corporate environments?
Perhaps  <author role="contact-nonauthor">...</author> would be
a general solution?

On Thursday 28 July 2005 22:22, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> was heard to say:
> |> respectful |     to note such things, but not within the main body
> |> of the article.
> |>
> |> |     Actually I noticed some publications put the complete author |
> |>
> |> address as a footnote, appropriately <footnoteref>'ed by other |
> |> authors from the same institution.
> |>
> |> Another RFE, please.
> |
> | Isn't this just formatting (stylesheet) issue? Stylesheet could be
> | parametrized to present author information as a footnote and
> | sophisticated stylesheet can even merge same addresses into the one
> | footnote.
>
> Ahh, good point. Yes, thank you, Jirka. I was thinking of general
> footnotes in author, but if what's really needed is simply the ability
> to present affiliations in footnotes, there's no need for the footnote
> element per se.

I didn't put that as clearly as I could of. There were actually two issues
combined.  I would like to use an article to see this:

            <title>Life the DocBook Universe and Everything[1]</title>

  contact       Norm Walsh[a][2], Jirka Kosek[b], Bob Stayton[c]
help@rand.com              and Mike Smith[d]
SomePLace in
USA              [a] O'Reilly ..... [b] University of Economics,
               Prague...  [c] Sagehill Enterprises... [d] Tokyo Japan

                                Abstract
             blah blah blah

                             Introduction
             blah blah blah

            [1] Apologies to Douglas Adams[3]
            [2] Now at Sun Microsystems ...
            [3] Deceased 11th May 2001
                        <?pagebreak?>

The first part of (3) was in getting footnote reference [2]
(this has higher priority on my wish list)
The second issue, which I think I saw in the Nature journal, was where
all address references [a,b,c and d] would also appear as footnotes.
(I don't need it, but it would be a useful stylesheet generalisation
if it could be done?)

> | (4) It would be nice if there was some kind of generic inline <name>
> |     container for denoting the names of books or journals or companies
>
> That's citetitle
Oops. Yeah. Thanks.

> | (5) It might be nice if the <equation>, <inlineequation> and
> |     <informalequation> elements provided an @type attribute to
> |     distinguish between mathematical and chemical equations/reactions
> |     and formulae. Perhaps "math"|"chem"|"nuclear?" with a default of
> | "math"?
>
> Can you use role for this? Chemistry and nuclear physics aren't
> directly in DocBook's scope.

I was thinking it would ultimately be useful for software to
distinguish between them in a standard manner and then parse them in an
appropriate way.
I've been using role for another purpose.
I guess Arch, Condition, or Lang might apply?

> |     (actually, it would be very nice to be able to put text -
punctuation
> |     such as a full-stop or comma at the very least - on the same line
> |     as an <equation> or <informalequation> )
>
> That seems problematic at best. However, I expect these elements are
> allowed inside para, so you could do it, but you'll have to get the
> processing system to "do the right thing".

Are you thinking of something like this?

<para> Some introductory text,  ... split the beer atom ...
where the energy <inlineequation>E</inl...> is given by

<equation> </equation>, where <informalequation>x=2</inf...>

and the integral is over all space.
</para>

How could I pick the limit of what to include on the same line?

Thanks Norm, Thanks Ruth, Thanks Jirka

Cheers
Doug