Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook 5.0 Toolchain and Questions

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 13:21 -0700, Ben Rockwood wrote:
> I'm alittle confused about what 5.0 and NG will mean to authors moving
> forward.  NG looks like it will make customization much nicer without
> having to bug Bob Stayton (my hero) every time, but from a practical
> standpoint I'm unsure of what the future holds.

My trust in Bob (and Norm.... and the Oasis WG) goes perhaps a bit
further.
I've been using docbook since... a long time.
So far, whatever they have done, I have built on, rather than
deprecated.
I'd trust them a bit further...

> A side question, I won't miss DOCTYPE's so much, but I'm concerned that
> I can't verify the new NG xmlns locations,

Ok Ben I'm with you on that.
As soon as Norm feels a bit more confident I'm sure
it will become more stable. Don't you?

Think longer term perhaps?
I don't see Bob|Norm....and the WG as 'in it for the short term gain'
do you?

I guess I'm saying trust these guys.
They have v.little to gain by not doing the right thing.

Am I right?
  or.....

regards

--