Subject: Re: DocBook 5.0 Toolchain and Questions

/ Ben Rockwood <benr@cuddletech.com> was heard to say:
| I'm alittle confused about what 5.0 and NG will mean to authors moving
| forward.  NG looks like it will make customization much nicer without
| having to bug Bob Stayton (my hero) every time, but from a practical
| standpoint I'm unsure of what the future holds.

I don't have time at just this moment to address Ben's central
question, but...

[...]
| A side question, I won't miss DOCTYPE's so much, but I'm concerned
| that I can't verify the new NG xmlns locations, such as:
|
| <article xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="lillet">
|
| If I point a browswer to that url to verify that its valid I get a
| 404.  Nevertheless, it seems to work fine.  Can someone explain this?

I can explain the 404: I screwed up. As of a little while ago, it's no
longer 404, though it also isn't a very good namespace document yet.
That will improve asap.

My appologies for promoting a namespace without providing anything
human readable at its URI.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | A child becomes an adult when he
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | realizes he has a right not only
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | to be right but also to be
                                   | wrong.--Thomas Szasz

PGP signature