Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Fink report

Rich Morin wrote:
> Let me get this straight.  I should ignore a document that tells
> me that I can process a docbook file into (say) HTML with a single
> command.  Instead, I should fish my way through 20+ pages of dense
> installation and configuration information in Bob's book, trying to
> figure out which instructions might be applicable to the programs
> that I (supposedly) just installed.

and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Conversion of Docbook sources to useful output forms is a complex problem.

That having been said, the best short tutorial I found when getting
started with DocBook is Mills' "Installing And Using An XML/SGML DocBook
Editing Suite".  You can find it here: http://tinyurl.com/8alb2  The
main problem with it is that it leans overmuch towards the SGML side,
IMHO, which I consider outmoded.  DocBook XML has a much brighter future.

Anyway, when you're done with Mills' article, do read Stayton's book.
It will open your eyes to the full range of DocBook's capabilities.