Subject: Re: [docbook] CALSpair format alternatives

nico <nicolas.marsgui@libertysurf.fr> writes:

> But in the TDG example (2.0.12) the "units" attribute is set for areaspec.
> And I guess that the units are inherited. Right?
>
> <areaspec units="calspair">
>   <areaset id="oneway" coords="">
>     <area id="oneway1" coords="300 400"/>

I don't know. :(

TDG does not say anything about the units being inherited, but
that example certainly seems to imply that they can be inherited.
And the logic used in the DocBook HTML and FO stylesheets is that
they are inherited.

But still, that example does not make sense, because CALSPair
needs four coordinates, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, it seems the TDG is in need of some revising and
clarification in that example and in the specification for
handling of the Coords attributes.

> Strange, I haven't the same thing in the area element description. I have:
>
>   'CALSPair
>
>     The coordinates are expressed using the semantics of the
>     CALS graphic attributes. The format of the coordinates
>     is “x1,y1 x2,y2”.'
>
> That is, there is a space " " and not a comma "," between y1 and
> x2. Are  both correct?

No. I made a mistake. It should just be the form with a space.

> >>- "x y"
> >
> >That is valid but could be either LineColumn or LineRange
>
> Ok. Does it make sense if for graphic elements these units are interpreted
> as the following calspair: "x,y x,y"?

I do not know, and TDG does not make it clear.

Sorry, I guess I have not been much help here.

I think maybe the only thing that will help is for you too look at
the "process.image" template in this files:

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/snapshots/xsl/html/graphics.xsl

And a the code in this file:

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/snapshots/xsl/extensions/saxon643/com/nwalsh/saxon/Verbatim.java

As far as I can tell, those are the only places in the DocBook
Project stylesheets that have anything to do with handling of
"coords".

In case of the graphics.xsl file, it's for handling callouts with
graphics (specified in CALSPair units -- that is the only thing
supported for graphics).

In case of the Verbatim.java file, it's for handling callouts with
verbatim stuff (specified in LineColumn and LineRange -- those are
the only ones supported for verbatims).

I suppose that the DocBook Project stylesheets are the "de facto"
reference implementation of DocBook processing, so that if you
find things not clearly specified in TDG, looking at the logic in
the FO and HTML stylesheets is probably the way to go.

Incidentally, it looks like the FO stylesheets do not support
callouts in images at all (as far as I can tell).

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://sideshowbarker.net/