List Home All Archives Dates Threads Authors Subjects
docbook - Re: [docbook] Q: How do I use entities like – in DocBook V5.0? Message Thread: Previous | Next
  • From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
  • To: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 09:30:09 +0100
Send Email to docbook@lists.oasis-open.org:
Send new message
Steven T. Hatton wrote:

>>Why? Once MathML is read through XML parser by some mathematical
>>symbolic application this distinction is loss.
>

> Not really.  \[NotExists] is &NotExists;, \[Implies] is &Implies;, etc.

XML parser will expand &NotExists; to a sequence of Unicode characters
(and possibly also some markup) before handing in to the application. So
with the support of good editor, you can type in Unicode characters
directly in a way very similar to typing named entities.

> There are also problems such as whether what you see is a Greek omicron or a
> Latin (English) 'O'.  These things matter in terms of querying presentational
> XML, and in terms of interpreting content XML.

This is also application problem. If those characters have similar
glyphs, your XML editor could show symbolic name of character instead.

> In MathML there are twenty tables of symbols similar to the table shown here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/isoamsa.html
>
> There are about 150 unique characters listed in that table. Perhaps there is a
> way to represent the entire collection in a single symbol to be added to a
> document, but simply adding the particular entities of interest is not an
> option.

You can simply create small file that includes all these tables and then
reference just this file from your internal subset.

> How is the editor supposed to know what entities are intended to represent a
> particular character?

There are zillion ways to implement it.

Nejbližší termíny školení: XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.
          *** DocBook 5.-7.12. *** XSL-FO 19.-20.12. ***

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

By Date: Previous | Next Current Thread By Thread: Previous | Next

  Mail converted by the most-excellent MHonArc 2.6.10