Subject: RE: [docbook] Whatever happened too CSS+XML?

> When CSS gets implemented

like, say

  Prince
  http://www.princexml.com/

  CSSToXSLFO
  http://www.re.be/css2xslfo/

  Flying Saucer
  https://xhtmlrenderer.dev.java.net/

  KHTML 3.4
  http://www.konqueror.org/css/

  Opera 8
  http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/#css

  Mozilla
  http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/CSS

  XXE
  http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/features.html

  XMetaL
  http://www.xmetal.com/en_us/products/xmetal_author/customized_user_interfaces.x

> When CSS is accepted

like, say

  Open eBook
  http://www.openebook.org/oebps/oebps1.2/download/oeb12-xhtml.htm#sec1.3.4

  OpenReader
  http://www.openreader.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=157

  Microsoft Reader Authoring Guides, Markup Guide
  http://www.microsoft.com/reader/developers/downloads/markup.asp

  Standards and CSS in IE

  Web Content Accessibility
  http://usability.gov/accessibility/
  http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/
  http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-CSS-TECHS/

  Styling SVG with CSS
  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/styling.html#StylingWithCSS

  XHTML 2.0 user agent rendering behaviour specified using CSS2
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/xhtml2-style.html#a_stylesheet

  Linking behaviour described in terms of CSS
  http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-hyperlinks/

> It still won't have 10% of the capability of XSLT.

To the best of my knowledge, XSLT does not actually render anything. Using XSLT to transform XML into Netscape 4.7-compatible tag soup HTML is -- at best -- a wasted effort.

An old article with a conclusion that still holds true

  What Place Has CSS in the XML World?
  http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/03/08/style/

Kind regards
Peter Ring