Subject: Re: Q: How do I use entities like – in DocBook V5.0?

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 05:28 am, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> If it helps, I've attached a Docbook file which does exactly that: it
> includes an entity file with my favorite entities.
>
> I can edit the Docbook file (and validates it) with nXML and I can
> validate it against the RelaxNG schema with xsltproc (and of course
> against the DTD with nsgmls).

What version of DocBook?

> % xmllint --noout --relaxng RelaxNG/Docbook/docbook.rng test.db
> test.db validates
>
> If I use xmllint without the --noout, I can see that the entity was
> indeed processed and expanded.

I can put this in a file and Emacs nxml stops complaining about missing
entities:

<!DOCTYPE bull [
<!ENTITY % BS SYSTEM "This is complet BS">
%BS;
]>

Mind you, I have been working on other things, and have not been completely
focused on resolving this particular issue. One thing I did look into briefly
is how this is working:

http://www.w3.org/2002/04/xhtml-math-svg/xhtml-math-svg.dtd

The MathML Recommendation states the following:

<quote url=http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/appendixa.html#parsing.doctype>
A.3.2 Character entity references

Although validating a MathML fragment with the XML Schema provided performs
more checks regarding the structure of the fragment than the DTD, DTD
processing is still necessary if the MathML markup contains entity references
for characters and symbols, as XML Schema does not provide a mechanism for
expanding named entities. Therefore the MathML DOCTYPE declaration must still
be present if one wishes to use entities for mathematical symbols, such as
&DifferentialD;. An example of a MathML document linking to both the MathML
DTD and the XML Schema is shown below.

<!DOCTYPE mml:math
    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"
           "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd"; [
    <!ENTITY % MATHML.prefixed "INCLUDE">
    <!ENTITY % MATHML.prefix "mml">
]>

<mml:math xmlns:mml="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";
      xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML
            http://www.w3.org/Math/XMLSchema/mathml2/mathml2.xsd";>
    <mml:mo> &DifferentialD; </mml:mo>
</mml:math>
</quote>

Now there are about a hundred lines in the MathML DTD which begin with:

<!-- MathML Character Entities ..............................................
-->
<!ENTITY % mathml-charent.module "INCLUDE" >
<![%mathml-charent.module;[
<!-- Entity sets from ISO Technical Report 9573-13 ..... -->

I suspect I can copy these into another file and put a reference to that in
the catalog.xml path.  Un fortunately, DocBook 4.5 does not know what to do
with the <mml:math> tags, and the parsers don't know what to do with DocBook
V5.  Not having a standardized means of specifying the character entities
makes all of this unacceptable for the Internet.

Steven