Subject: Re: [docbook] Whatever happened too CSS+XML?

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

>> * it lacks a TOC
>
> Create an XML: TOC http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/toc.html
>

>> * it lacks indexes
>

> Create an XML index: http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/index.html
>

>> * certain elements need complicated prefixes and postfixes (including
>>text, graphics, borders, table-like structures)
>

> Most of that /can/ be done with CSS.  CSS and JavaScript can do even more.
> Basically all a web browser does with xhtml is apply a built in CSS style.

Well this is true only if you are styling content stored in some very
general vocabulary as DocBook or XHTML, because those languages has very
loose schema and allow you to augment original document with new
elements containing things like ToC or index. CSS is sufficient for
styling such document if you can use XSLT, JavaScript or whatever to add
missing pieces like ToC or index to document prior to rendering.

However if you have some very restrictive XML vocabulary, for example
XML invoice, you can't style it without prior transformation to
something like XHTML, DocBook or XSL-FO. Because this vocabulary doesn't
provide any generalized markup for adding new stuff, you can't do things
like adding header row before the list of items. There is simly no
element in XML invoice which can hold header information and CSS is
unable to generate new header row on-the-fly during rendering.

This remainds me, that I recently promised to send to Håkon some
examples like this which can't be handled without downcorvesion to some
loose markup like XHTML or XSL-FO.

					Jirka

Nejbližší termíny školení: XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.
          *** DocBook 5.-7.12. *** XSL-FO 19.-20.12. ***

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature