Subject: Re: [docbook] Whatever happened too CSS+XML?

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> the driving force that determines which way the technology goes.  The
> response that the browsers don't support it, so it can't be done isn't a
> valid argument.

So you think really that people will be satisfied with documents where:

* are no links
* are no images
* are no tables
* ... and dozen of other features

With just XML+CSS you can not achieve things which I mentioned above. By
achieve I mean that it will work at least in a mainstream browsers like
IE, Mozilla and Opera.

I will celebrate day when common browsers will be able to display
DocBook XML directly, styled with CSS and with working links, images and
tables. But until this happen (read "for the next ten years") I will
downconvert DocBook to good old HTML for crappy browsers.

I'm not saying that I'm happy with this situation, but here we are.
Pretending that some technology works, while it is not true is the worst
thing you can do for such technology. Premature and unsuccessful launch
is not good marketing strategy IMHO. Play with this stuff in your lab,
persuade browser vendors and let us know once technology is ready for a
real use.

					Jirka

Nejbližší termíny školení: XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.
          *** DocBook 5.-7.12. *** XSL-FO 19.-20.12. ***

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature