Subject: Re: [docbook] Whatever happened too CSS+XML?

Noah Slater wrote:

> Not at all. One of the benefits of using RELAX NG is that it supports
> multiple namespaces [1]. You are free to embed SVG and XHTML markup
> inside a DocBook document. This is perfectly valid [2]. From section
> "Why switch to DocBook V5.0?" we have:
>
> "DocBook V5.0 is more extensible. Having DocBook V5.0 in a separate
> namespace allows you to easily mix DocBook markup with other XML based
> languages like SVG, MathML, XHTML or even FooBarML."

I know this sentence, actually I typed it on the same keyboard as this
email message ;-)

It is perfectly legal and meaningful to place SVG image, MathML equation
or XHTML form inside DocBook document, because DocBook doesn't provide
native markup for such things. And although you can *technically* place
XHTML link or image inside DocBook document, it is nonsense because
DocBook has native elements for links and images. Moreover DocBook
markup is usually much more powerful and semantically richer then
similar XHTML markup.

If something is allowed it doesn't necessary mean that it should be
really done. You are probably allowed to jump from 10th floor, but you
will agree with me that it is not very good idea after all. Using
your life, but otherwise it is a very similar sort of idea.

					Jirka

Nejbližší termíny školení: XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.
          *** DocBook 5.-7.12. *** XSL-FO 19.-20.12. ***

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature