Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook for hardware documentation

Maneesh Soni wrote:

> I would like to know if DocBook will be good for hardware documentation.
> While there are specified constructs in DocBook for software API
> documentation, there's does not seem to be much to support hardware
> specifics. For example, it is unclear how, in DocBook, one could
> document (and tag) the details of the memory map of an embedded
> processor in a chip or memory mapped registers.
>
> Could someone on this list please let me know if DocBook has been used
> for hardware documentation and how effective a solution is it for the
> purpose?

Very effective, but I suggest you to spend some time with analysis. I
have several customers from hardware and chip producing companies. After
initial analysis I created special customized version of DocBook for
them. Many elements from standard DocBook were removed in orded to make
editing easier and few new specific elements (like register,
instruction, signal, ...) were added. In DocBook V5.0 it is dumb easy to
create your own customized version of DocBook. For V4.x customization
you need DTD geek ;-)

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
      ** XSLT 13.-16.3.2006 ** XML schémata 24.-26.4.2006 **
        ** DocBook 15.-17.5.2006 ** XSL-FO 12.-13.6.2006 **

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature