Subject: RE: [docbook] figure in example

Chris,

> Why is figure allowed in para, which in turn is allowed in example,
> when figure is not allowed in example? I feel sorta strange wrapping
> my figures in paras...

I don't know the exact reason, but my best guess is that it has to
do with titling and numbering.  I.e., to avoid a situation where
you have a titled and numbered figure inside a titled and numbered
example.  Since informalfigure IS allowed in example, that's about
the only reason I can think of.

Of course, as you note, it is possible to nest figure in example through
para, but I'll bet that was not contemplated when DocBook was designed.

I'd be interested in getting Norm's view on this, especially because
he seems to have plugged this hole in DocBook V5.0 (that's if I read
the Schematron assertions correctly, which I don't guarantee:).  The
description of example http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/example.html
contains a set of "Additional Constraints" including one that states
that "figure must not occur in the descendants of example."  That would

BTW, if you don't need titles and numbering, you can put informalfigure
in example.  This is permitted in both 4.x and 5.0.

Regards,

Dick Hamilton
rlhamilton@frii.com