Subject: Re: [docbook] Adding new element to docbook DTD

Regarding the two-pass processing method, it is possible to do
both passes and the application of styles with a single
stylesheet.  That way you would not require any special setup for
processing, just a stylesheet.

The existing fo/profile-docbook.xsl does single pass profiling
and application of styles in one stylesheet.  It uses EXSLT
node-set to hold the profiled content in the first step to be
styled in the second step.  You could add another step to process
the node-set again with the profiling stylesheet and different
profile parameters, and save the results of that to a another
node-set, which would then be styled in the third step.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dyer" <jdyer@opushealthcare.com>
To: "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>; "Jirka Kosek"
<jirka@kosek.cz>; "Dick Hamilton" <rlhamilton@frii.com>
Cc: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:00 AM

[stuff deleted]

Bob Stayton wrote:

> Another approach is to do two profiling passes.  On the first
> pass, process your document with profiling/profile.xsl and
> set profile.condition="C1".  Any elements with condition="C2"
> will be removed.  On the second pass, process the result of
> the first pass with the same stylesheet but set
> profile.condition="C2".
> That will remove any elements with condition="C1", leaving
> only those with condition="C1;C2".  Then process the result
> of that with the regular stylesheet.

My purpose here is to develop a process to be used for my
company's
technical writing staff.  I am a developer and will not be
involved with
the transforming of documentation once a process is in place.
While
this approach would work fine if I were transforming docs myself,
think it is a bit more complex than what we are looking for.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net