Subject: Madcap Flare and Docbook

Hello Mike,

I have listened to the posdcast interview with you that is available from
http://techwritervoices.com/

This has provided me with some great insight into Flare. In addition to the
technical aspects you have prsented in the Podcastabout, I think what struck
me as most encouraging is your apparent willingness to embrace and commit to
open and standards-based formats.

Of particular interest to myself and I think also the community of Docbook
users, is just what level of support Flare will provide for Docbook.

As you know, Docbook is a large schema with powerful options for
single-sourcing, mutli-channel publishing and customization of
transformations for multiple target presentational output formats.

While there have been many attempts to produce a Docbook Editor that can mange
all the features and capabilities of Docbook, not many have provided a simple
solution that virtually anybody can use.

In addition to hearing your views on the editing or workflow environment, I
think many people would also be interested in understanding how Madcap will
address issues such as tool-chain, portability, olinking, bibliographies,
indexing and so forth.

The list of questions is long. Already I have one question from a Docbook
users who is asking, "What major formats this Flare thing can turn into
DocBook XML?"

The same person would like to learn, which versions of DocBook you intend to
support, technologies involved in the conversion, etc...

It would be great if you could subscribe to the Docbook mailing lists, if you
have not already done so, and perhaps partake in discussion around Flare and
Docbook. If not, feel free to reply direct to me and I will forward your
response to the list.

Hope you can help shed some light on the subject.

Many thanks,

--
Ask me about the Monkey.

Sean Wheller