Subject: Re: [docbook] Advice needed on annotating page breaks...

Since you are using DocBook 5, I'll mention one other possibility that
avoids the use of processing instructions.  The list of common attributes
now includes an "annotations" attribute, which permits you to associate
<annotation> elements with the current element.  Something like this:

... end of one chapter.</para>
</chapter>
<chapter xml:id="thischap" annotations="pagebreak">
<title>...

and then put an annotation element in a place where it is permitted:

<info>
<annotation xml:id="pagebreak">
<para>page break in original document appeared before this element.
</para>
</annotation>
</info>

In this scheme, the location of the annotation element is not the location
of the page break. Rather, the page break is located at the point just
before the start tag of the element whose annotations attribute refers to
this annotation element's xml:id.  This kind of indirect reference makes
annotations very flexible, because the annotations attribute *is*
universal.

You could reuse this annotation element for many page breaks if you don't
need to record page numbers, otherwise you would need to create an
annotation element (and xml:id) for each numbered page break and point to
those individually.

The full range of possibilities of annotations is not yet documented in The
Definitive Guide V5.  You can find more information about it from this
mailing list message and the followups:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200504/msg00012.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises