Subject: RE: [docbook] Add topic element to DocBook?

Actually, section is a legal root element.  I have used it for chunking
books into files in the past for authoring convenience.

I agree that sections imply sequential content, but that hasn't
prevented me from using them for modular document development.  I
regularly reuse admonitions, tables, procedures, sections and list
items, on occasion even pulling an individual paragraph.  I can nest
sections inside other sections with no problem.  Modern XML with XPATH
makes much of what traditional content management systems did possible
without any real concern for where chunking occurs -- I frequently pull
elements out of the middle of a file by referencing the id on the
element.  I include sections from help systems in user guides and from
both in product Web sites.  The real problem with content reuse is
making sure the document constructed by assembling content is cohesive
when it is done.

This is not an argument for or against adding topic, just an attempt to
make it clear that topic is not necessary to accomplish modular
development.  Discipline in authoring is important (use explicit
references to other content rather than positional references -- no more
"as described in the preceding ...").  This seems more like a question
of making the author's intent clear (or possibly using terminology that
is trendy), rather than one of whether the grammar can support reuse.  I
already do significant reuse and suspect many authors out there using
DocBook do also.

I would like to make sure that if we add topic to an already large
collection of elements that it serves a truly valuable purpose in
clarifying the authors intent.  As far as I can tell, modifying the
grammar to allow section as a child of book and part appears to be the
only syntactic difference between section and topic.  I am still open on
what semantic value is added by adding it -- I recognize the value of
having multiple admonitions in the grammar over an admonition element
with a class attribute, I am still not clear how a topic differs from a
section other than the sequential content implication.

I do like the idea of a map element.  We had to invent one for
constructing help systems, and having something like that as a standard
from DocBook would be nice.

Larry Rowland