Subject: Re: [docbook] Add topic element to DocBook?

In our DocBook system, we have implemented a notion of topic, as a
sub-class of section (role="topic").  Topics are allowed in chapters, and
in other topics.

We use topics for automatic generation of the ToC, and subsequently for
HTML chunking.  Every chapter and every topic makes it into the ToC, and
has its own HTML file in the output.  (In our system, IDs are required on
chapters and topics, and are used for the HTML filenames.)

Topics also allow us to re-use topics via XInclude without having to
manage the ToC generation any further: The generated ToC can be of
arbitrary depth, so you can include a topic (with its set of sub-topics)
anywhere in a document and it'll all work as intended.

It looks like there are a bunch of concerns in this thread that have
nothing to do with our own definition of "topic", especially if we're
targetting a DITA use case of some kind (though I also see little added
value in DITA over DocBook at this point; I've had to resist internal
pressures to adopt DITA because it's "newer").  But I like our definition,
and I've always thought it'd be useful for DocBook in general.

-- Dan