Subject: RE: [docbook] Add topic element to DocBook?

Aren't all of the DocBook elements you identified that have semantic
structures block elements?  I'm not sure I know of any that have the
ability to substitute into the hierarchy while carrying a semantic
structure.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, but it does mean changing the
model.

I really like the task element that was added to DocBook, since it does
exactly what you described -- provides a richer semantic environment for
grouping the information related to a procedure -- I have had to do the
same thing repeatedly in documenting products.  In terms of processing
prerequisites and such differently, couldn't the role or remap
attributes carry that type of instruction?

I guess I am concerned about processing expectations.  I want a task to
be visually distinct, which is easy when it is a block element.  Does a
sect2 equivalent task look like a sect3 equivalent task, or do the
headings take on the appearance of the equivalent of a section at the
same level in the hierarchy?  If so, haven't I lost the visual cue that
this is a task.

I guess I have been thinking of a task as a formal object, like a
procedure on steroids.

Larry Rowland