Subject: RE: [docbook] Tags to allow re-use of content from other documents

Yes, you could use xmllint/xsltproc to resolve the xlincludes before the fop pass. I've used xmllint in that situation and gotten it to work using xpath in xpointers in my source.

If introducing another tool (and a non -java one) is a problem, I suppose you could customize the docbook xslts (or write a separate preprocessing xslt) that support some limited version of xinclude. A while back, I ran across something Eliot Kimber posted on another list <http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200209/msg00827.html> that could provide you with a starting point or some code to look at (I haven't personally tried it out tho).

One other option would be to have your build proprocess the xml from the UML tool to chunk out the content you need for your docbook doc in a form that your current tools can handle.

Good luck,
David