Subject: RE: [docbook] Best way to represent an image placeholder?

You might consider using a mediaobject with an imageobject with a
fileref to an SVG or PNG (or whatever image format you prefer) with a
simple "Page Not Available" text message.  Then you can set the
alternate text for the image to provide specifics of the page that is
missing.

Another alternative is a mediaobject with a textobject child that
describes the page that is not yet available.  The textobject can be
replaced with an imageobject once the content becomes available.

The big choice is to determine which method best maintains the integrity
of the document you are representing.  Both avoid a dummy fileref (which
I also find distasteful).

Regards,

Larry Rowland

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Hungerford [mailto:stuart.hungerford@anu.edu.au]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 5:52 PM
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi,

We're currently using DocBook 5.0 to markup copies of some
historical printed publications.

These publications can be quite complex and often contain
diagrams, maps, charts and figures etc.

We don't currently have images for these page graphics but
I'd still like the markup to contain some kind of "placeholder"
that indicates a missing image.

My tests with <imageobject> and <imagedata> show I could
use a dummy "fileref" attribute, but that doesn't seem
right.

Can someone suggest a better approach?  Should I be using
a processing instruction or some kind of parenthetical
note?

Any advice much appreciated,

Stu

--