Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: [SPAM] [docbook] "xmlto pdf" command fails in TeX/LaTeXstep on debian system.

'cga2000' a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:26:19AM EST, Hinrich Aue wrote:
>> I don't much about latex with docbook, but I think that using FOP is the
>> better way.
>> Did you try FOP?
>
> Yes, this post was already rather verbose so I did not mention it.
>
> I tried to install the "fop" debian package but couldn't.  It apparently
> requires (some) java .. but the j2re packages are not "installable" on
> my debian sarge system.  I've never quite understood what the problem is
> with java on linux systems but they never seem to get along.

Java was not provided with Linux distributions (Debian, at least) for a
long time because of license issues. This is no longer a problem now
since the license terms were recently changed. But as Sarge predates
that change you still have to semi-manually install Java.
Install java-package: it contains a script that will create a deb
package from a Java .bin archive that you have previously downloaded
yourself. Then install the created deb package with dpkg and you have
Java on your system.
If you need further help I suggest you to google java-package or look
for a Debian mailing list as this is really starting to get out-of-topic...

And, BTW, you will have much better results if you render your DocBook
documents into PDF with the latest FOP 0.93 version. There's no deb
package for it yet, so you'll have to download it from the FOP [1]
website, but this is easy and there are binary packages if you don't
want to build it yourself.

HTH,
Vincent

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/